Sunday, September 30, 2007

Ferrara

So Friday we took a day trip to Ferrara because none of us had school and we're in Italy so we can just take day trips to really beautiful places! The train ride only took 25 mins and cost only 5 Euro. Number one cool thing about Ferrara: there's a medieval castle with a drawbridge and a moat and everything. We even went into dungenons whose doors were actually smaller than me! Here's me on some cannonballs -->
If you click on this pic you will notice two things: (1) I got a haircut, and (2) my super cool new European tennis shoes.

After the castle we ate lunch at this tiny place that was of course super cute. I ordered a trio which made me feel a little like I was at Olive Garden, but believe me, this was no Olive Garden. I had ravioli filled with brie, tortellini filled with pumpkin (a Ferrara speciality), and melt-in-your-mouth gnocchi with veggies.

We walked around a bit and found this <-- really fun cannon. After, we went to the Duomo. It was quite beautiful but I've decided I prefer smaller churches to grand cathedrals. The smaller ones have more detail and feel homier.

Finally, before catching the train, we decided to have some gelato. Before I came to Italy I thought gelato was gelato, but man was I wrong! The gelato we had in Ferrara was average at best...but we've already found 3 AMAZING gelaterias in Bologna. I've decided I'm going to stop wasting my money on mediocre gelato and save it for the good stuff.

One more pic of all of us after feeding the fish in the moat:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

you guys are cute

and i cannot wait for the food!

seeing you will be okay too but the food!!! ahhh.

michele said...

Glad to know you enjoyed my city! :-)
Next time, for gelato try GROM in the square beside the Cathedral... In Bologna my favourite is Sorbetteria Castiglione ;-)