Wednesday, May 14, 2008

The Black Sheep: Sardegna

I recently had the most awesome opportunity to go to Sardegna with a true Sarda. Gavina, a friend whom I met through Azzurra, took Shawn and me with her to her small hometown of Perfugas in northern Sardegna. Her family lives the school/work year in Bologna and then spends summer and all holidays in Sardegna. Sardegna's population is outnumbered by sheep...and it's often considered to be kinda the outcast of Italy (hence my title).

It was so relaxing to go and stay with such a hospitable family in a tranquil little corner of the Earth. The weather was kinda icky so the beach didn't come into play as often as we'd hoped but it made the trip even more chill. The climate and terrain of Sardegna actually remind me of a cross between Ireland and NorCal (it certainly has all the plants of NorCal because I nearly died of allergies), but also made me think of the Azores because there were so many things about the island that made me imagine my mom exclaiming, "Oh, this reminds me of home!" Gavina tried teaching us lots about the history and culture of Sardenga but I'll be honest-a lot of the vocabulary went over my head! I'll stick in tid-bits when I can, though! Sardenga is really well known for, as far as I can tell, these three things: Sheep, Cork, and Mirto, a sweet, local liquor. Here goes show and tell through pictures...
Mirto, in cork bottles! I bet one even has a sheep on it.

This is a shop that sells supplies for shepherds.

This is not the house we stayed at, but it is Gavina's family's beach house. Oh, to have a beach house in Italy. Maybe we would have hung out here more had the weather been more pleasant.

Extremely worn-down hotel Shawn and I kinda fell in love with.

We went to a hot springs river...the water was too hot to touch in some areas...notice the steam!

Some old men in speedos went for the plunge.
Shawn and Gavina looking terribly cute.

One night we went to the bar. The soccer team had just won and there was a live band so it was really quite exciting. The guy you see next to Shawn kept buying rounds of drinks. My allergies were pretty bad so I didn't feel like drinking anything but in the end I had to help Shawn finish some of the drinks this guy kept bringing him! It was far too funny. MUCH later that night the three of us reached sleepover status when we sat up talking about our lives and change and friendships and how difficult it will be leaving Italy.

This is the church where Gavina will be getting married. I've already been invited. Now she just needs to find a groom.

Elephant made out of rock! Elephant made out of rock!

I acquired a crush on the boy in this picture. Isn't he lovely?

Castelsardo

Last night goodbyes...that's Roberta, Gavi's best friend.

I forgot to mention (because I don't have a picture) that the first night we went to Roberta's birthday party out in the country. We had to take a dirt road and stop to let cows pass on the way there. They made a full, four-course meal for 50 people! There was lasagna, roasted sausage, lamb...you name it! I've never seen such a thing. Another neat experience was when we found a mama and baby horse roaming around back. They were so magestic.

Tonight Gavina's mom has invited us over for dinner! There is nothing better than when Italian moms offer to cook for you.

Update: I just got back from the dinner...there was only 7 of us...and here's what we ate: lasagna, meatballs (well, something similar), eggplant parmesan, roasted chicken, and deer sausage! So much food! I had never eaten deer before...and it was hilarious because when they said the name of the animal, we didn't understand, and so Gavina told me I was eating Bambi's father.

No comments: