Thursday, May 29, 2008

Monsoon Season

Tonight there was a spettacolo in Piazza Maggiore put on by a gallery that has just acquired a book by Michaelangelo. They've been setting up for it all week and it was so neat to see it realized! There was a huge stage in the middle of the square, with tons of lights set up. The stage even had a waterfall! There were beautiful dance performances all themed around the seasons of the year, complete with a live orchestra and beautiful costumes and sets. People were flying around on wires with flowing gowns and inspiring choreography...it was quite magical, like something out of Fantasia or Cirque de Soleil. The best part was that the whole thing was backdropped by lighting and thunder! As we were watching the show I felt a huge drop on my face and then all of a sudden it just started pouring. Umbrellas were popping up and people were running like crazy for shelter. Charlotte and I didn't have protection so we just got drenched. The rain went on and off like that for the whole hour. The coolest part of the production was when a man on a wire climbed up San Petronio and did lots of flips and such off of it...with lightning blanketing the sky! Eventually Shawn, Ian, Alessandro, and Azzurra found us and we enjoyed the ridiculousness of the weather together. As soon as it ended it started pouring harder than I've ever experienced...so I up and ran home like a crazy person! I passed by a man on my street contemplating going out and I recommended he not! After I was all dry and the girls caught up with me, we turned off all the lights and watched the lightning from my window while listening to Enya. Hehe...it was sooo awesome. Hopefully the weather will straighten itself out a bit. I don't know what to do with myself when it changes so frequently. Eighty degree humidity and then pouring rain is just too confusing!

No comments: