Sunday, November 11, 2007

Florence

Well we've already returned from Paris (which was lovely) and my mom is actually leaving tomorrow :( ...but before I forget, I want to write about our time in Italy before Paris! The rest of them made it to and from Venice just fine and they had a great time. Who wouldn't love that city? The next day we went to Florence and had a yummy lunch at this hidden place where we got a delicious 3 course menu for, you won't believe it, only 6 euro each! Then we strolled around Florence seeing things like the river, the Duomo, and the Baptistery and then we spent the rest of the day shopping the open air markets! I went to a Mac makeup store there and the lady helping me was from S. Africa and she was so friendly and sweet. Plus they were playing Justin Timberlake in the store, which made me very happy, of course. We ran into a lot of other international people, including a ton of Brazillians, with whom my mom and aunt had fun talking. We ended up not buying too much stuff, but it was very fun browsing the different stands in the various markets. For dinner we ate in a very quaint place with delicious food (which is the case everywhere, I suppose!).

The next day was spent again in Bologna. The Italian girls came home very early from Calabria which made it a little awkward for everyone sleeping, but we got along ok. That day I took them all to my study center where they were able to meet my advisers and some of the other students in the program. We found a great consignment store that carries some designer stuff, and my aunt bought a Furla leather tote for just 15 euro! We found some great stuff there. I also took them to the fresh food market, which is probably my favorite place in Bologna, and then we ate at a quick but yummy place nearby; one of the most popular lunch places in town. After some more shopping (my mom finally found some Italian linens and decided that shopping in Bologna is good after all) we went home to eat pizza and salad before leaving on the night train to Paris!

No comments: