Saturday, December 29, 2007

Saying goodbye to Castrovillari

This is mostly a placemarker because I don't want to forget to write more about my last days in Castrovillari. I had the hardest time leaving. Right now I'm in London for my birthday spending it with Brittany and her mom, Faith. We're having a great time so far! I'll write asap!

The last couple days in Castrovillari were far more laid back since we were all recovering from Christmas. I lunched with Federica's family, went out with the friends to see some of the various locales Castrovillari has to offer, went to the beach in a town nearby, stopped by Silvia's birthday party with her friends, and finally went out to dinner on the last night for a mind-boggling meal with a stop at the Devil's Bridge!

At the beach...it was SO cold!
That's a castle in the background.

The siblings at Silvia's birthday party

The restaurant



Shawn and me looking super awkward.
I absolutely love this picture!

So Alessandro decided we should all order the main appetizer and share because it gives a great sampling of the best of Calabria's fine foods. We each received a plate with prociutto and one of the best cheeses I've ever tried. I was satisfied just with that, but then the waiter proceeded to bring out about 8 or more platters with dried and oiled tomatoes and eggplant, different types of sausage and pancetta, ricotta, frittatas, olives, and more! It was beyond anything I had ever imagined as an appetizer in my life! And so good...and then after we each had still ordered a main course (!) which was completely unnecessary, but completely delicious of course. I had tagliatelle with fresh picked mushrooms. Mmm...I just don't understand how they can make food taste so good. They're like magicians. After, we went to Il Ponte di Diavolo:

You can't see the background very well, but it was surrounded by cliffs with a big river raging below. I couldn't even see the river, I could only hear it! It was super creepy at night but really beautiful...and the air was amazingly crisp and refreshing.

The next day I had to get up super early for my ridiculous day of travel. It was so sad saying good-bye to Silvia and Mama. Silvia through a fit and said that Azzurra had been unfair always stealing me away so she couldn't spend any time with me. It was cute. In the morning, mama packed me sandwiches and then drove me to the station and waited with me for the bus. She always called me "joya" which I presume means joy, and she told me what a pleasure it had been and that I was welcomed anytime. Other than my own, I don't think I could have been with a better family for Christmas. My time in Castrovillari, Calabria was unlike anything I've ever experienced in my life. It cast a spell on me and created the most wonderful memories that will stay with me forever. The best (and unfortunately the most corny) way I can describe it is that my heart was full while I was there.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Kelly!!!