Friday, December 7, 2007

Tortelloni Party!

Last night, at Martino's house, Mikaela hosted a tortelloni party, where we all made our own tortelloni...from scratch! It's one of the coolest, most-Italian things I've done since I've been here...so I wanted to share it with you! First, we made the dough...which was SO messy. Then, while it was refrigerating we made the ricotta and spinach filling...and finally we rolled out the dough and filled them! Sounds easy enough, eh? Um, no. I was exhausted! Especially because Ian and I had a deal where he'd buy wine for me to bring to the party if I'd make his tortelloni, because he says the only thing he can cook is scrambled eggs. Hehe...anyways it took about 4 hours for me because I was doing a double batch. But we had wine, good company, and the prospect of home-made tortellini! So really I was quite content. When I first heard about the event, all I could say was, "Now that's my kind of party!" Here's some pictures from the event:
Everyone kneading dough

I couldn't very well drink my own wine with doughy hands!

Shawn was straight-up pro at tortelloni stuffing.

If you're bored, hungry, and could use a good work out, click here:
Tortelloni recipe, straight from Mikaela's blog!
Her family's Italian, and so she's been making pasta at home for quite a while...she basically just made this recipe up. Plus, you can stuff it with whatever you want...she also made a filling of gorgonzola, pears, and walnuts.

Some of you might have noticed that this was a tortellOni party, not a tortellIni party as everyone's used to hearing. Well, the I implies that it's meat stuffed and the O implies that it's not. We're definitely becoming tortellini snobs living in Bologna, where tortellini was CREATED! This is where I belong.

Now, MANGIA!

3 comments:

Kristen said...

I think I jokingly asked at one point before you left if you were going to be making your own pasta over there!

and look at you go now!

Anonymous said...

Can't wait for you to come home so we can make tortellini's like when I made raviolli's with my Dad at his delicatesen. It sounds like another party.

Julia said...

count me in Mr. D! (only "Oni" for me though!)