Thursday, August 23, 2007

All in one piece

Here I am! I made it to Bologna. I was too exhausted last night to write here, but I did get to talk to my family and to Brittany on the webcam. I seriously do not know how people used to do this without that form of communication! It makes me miss them so much less because it's almost as if we're in the same room, talking as we always would. (Except of course I'm having to pay through the nose for internet at this hotel!)

Speaking of the hotel, it's lovely. My key inserts into the wall and turns all the lights on, I get a robe and slippers, and the guy at the front desk is the same one I spoke with on the phone! (He's very cute too).

I don't remember the plane ride that much because I slept on and off for most of it, but there was a American-Italian family with a baby next to me and she kept calling her "amore" which was very cute. The taxi driver who took me to the hotel from the airport was nice, we had a conversation about how he wants to exchange his Mercedes for a Toyota (woo-woo!) because it gets better gas mileage.

Everyone so far has been very nice, although I've only encountered about 3 Italians so far! Today I'm going to the Residence di Ercole, where I'll be staying for the next few weeks, to check in. I'm looking forward to it because I'm going to meet all the other UC students who are on this program with me, and it would be very reassuring to know SOMEONE in this town other than a taxi driver! However, I don't think there's internet there, so I'm going to have to do some finagling to get back online to my blog and to the webcams.

But overall, I'm doing pretty well. This whole things IS pretty scary but I'm just reminding myself that people do this all the time and that it's only going to get better! I also remember all you guys at home and I'm determined to make you all proud :)

I love you all! I'll write again asap!

2 comments:

Preeyanka said...

Kelly! I'm so happy that you've already been able to blog a bit about your adventure so far. I think it has yet to sink in for me as well that you're actually in Italy...after two years of hearing you talk about this,it's finally here! Take care! <3

Kristen said...

haha, thought i'd check in on you and i realized i was already behind on blogs! i'm so happy you made it safely and I'm going to read the other ones now. but i know what you mean about our forms of communication. i was just telling David how lucky we are to have the computer. when Renee (Ari's aunt) was telling me about her time in Germany, she kept talking about writing letters with her boyfriend (husband) and not getting to call home. how lucky we are!