Thursday, August 30, 2007

Via Pastrengo, numero 20

This is Piazza Maggiore. It's the biggest square in the town where everything happens!

So Charlotte and I found a pretty promising apartment...but of course they're are drawbacks to anything you find. This one's pretty secluded which is nice because it's quieter and safer. It's with two Italian girls who are really sweet and understanding of our lack of language skills! Across the hall is an apartment of boys that one of our new friends was also interested in. The apartment doesn't look super Italian and they all smoke, but it's in a good area and the people are nice. So it's always a toss up. Should you settle? Or is it really not settling and you might be passing up something great only to later live in a hole? Oh. And did I mention that two of the other girls in our program are trying to get this apartment too? And one of them is my roommate. Basically, the whole situation is pretty difficult. It's super interesting to visit random apartments though and get a feel for what's out there. Plus it always makes for interesting attempts at italian/english conversations!

Lunch here is amazing. After class ends at 1 we go to market and buy bread and meat and cheese and Pringles (hehe) and all eat panini together on one of our terraces. It's beautiful and all the food is so fresh and delicioius. The biggest down side is that it's SO humid here. I've never sweat this much in my life and I'm hot all the time. I'm at the point where I wish Italy accepted public nakedness! One thing they do accept is PDA. There are couples making out wherever they like and it's really awkward.

Italian class stresses me out because instead of learning more of the language, I feel like I'm just learning how much I don't know. I'm sure it'll get better though. It's so neat to have other people to practice with and to help with homework. We're starting to have a lot of homework but I feel like I have no time to really do it! Between searching apartments, walking everywhere, class, using the internet, eating, (and of course also hanging out), the days pretty much fly by! But it's so awesome living with practically everyone you know. It's really fun and really laid back. Tonight a bunch of us are going to go out to eat and then to a discoteche. It's so easy to organize activities when you're all living together! Apparently Thursday night is the new Friday night, so it should be pretty fun.

I just called Federica, the girl living in the apartment we think we want. We're going to go visit again today at 5:30. I've decided that if they offer it to us, we should take it, and if not, then it wasn't meant to be. Wish me luck!

Oh...and I'll try to post some pictures soon...but really i haven't been taking many. I don't feel that touristy since I'm actually living here, you know? But I know you guys want some proof so I'll do my best!

1 comment:

love unlimited said...

photography doesn't have to be touristy. we want pictures!